- Piece of metal wire hanger, allen wrench or valve adjusting
- M20: 0.25mm (0.010") angled feeler gauge.
- M30: 0.30mm (0.012") angled feeler gauge.
- New head cover gasket.
1. Place the car on ramps or stands the night before. Work on the
engine when cold, do not start it in the morning
2. Remove the intake manifold bracket, disconnect the breather hose
from the cover then remove the 8 nuts holding the cover and remove
2. Remove the air filter housing, remove the idle control valve,
disconnect the connector from the air flow sensor then remove it
(careful the clips can be lost easily). Remove the ignition harness
out of the way. Disconnect the breather hose from the cover. Remove
the nuts and the cover.
IMPORTANT: M30 (535i-735i-635i) you
have to tighten the oil spray
bar bolts! And oil pan bolts.
There is an improved version of the camshaft oiler bar banjo bolts
which incorporates locking compound on the threads: p/n 11 42 1
738 621 (must be installed in clean dry threads). Two special seal
washers are required for each banjo bolt, p/n 11 42 1 252 343. The
new style bolts identified by a circular groove cut into the bolt
head require no retorquing after initial installation (11-13Nm or
8-10 ft-lb of torque). One time sue only.
3. Remove all the spark plugs (good time to change or re-gap them).
4. The work out starts: turn the crankshaft until the no 1 cylinder's
camshaft lobes are pointing downward, valve fully closed (cylinder
1 is the closest to the radiator).