- New synthetic oil (Mobil 1 synthetic or equivalent)
- New oil filter + O'rings (if applicable)
- Clean rags + gloves
- 17mm closed end wrench
1. Run the engine to warm it, then turn it off.
2. Place a drain pan under the plug then loosen the drain
plug ("carefull", the oil is pretty warm).
3. Let the oil drain and change the oil filter during this
M20: position another drain pan or lots of rags under
the filter then loosen it by turning clockwise. Wipe the oil
filter mounting, lubricate the new filter gasket with some
fresh oil. Install filter by hand until gasket in contact
with flange then turn the filter another 1/2 turn.
Picture from Hans Lain.
Other engines: Loosen oil filter cover, prepare lots
of rags around the filter housing. Remove the old filter and
install the new one. Remove old O'rings and replace them with
the new ones after lubricating them with fresh oil. Replace
the cover (do not overtighten it).
4. Replace the drain plug, clean around it (easier to find
if there is leak afterwards).
5. Refill the engine with new oil.
6. Start the engine (the oil light might take longer than
before to switch off), let it warm up and check for leaks.